Sunday, April 27, 2008
Within walking distance of our house you can find gorgeous wetlands with herons, eagles, ducks, beavers, and a host of other beautiful creatures. Turn the other direction and walk West a couple of blocks and you can see sunsets over the Pacific Ocean, whirling formations of shore-birds, a fishing boat offshore, or a drive on the beach.
Adventure further on your way to Astoria, Oregon (more about Astoria later) you come to the 4.2 mile Astoria - Megler bridge over the Columbia River, which Ellen has walked in a fund raiser. Turn North and you can drive (or ride your bike or kayak if you are adventurous) to the pristine and bounteous Willapa Bay (best oysters in the world!).
CLICK HERE to see pix of the beach and Ocean Park (about a mile and a half North), where you can watch an old time red flashing stop light at the corner with Doc's tavern (coldest glass of beer for MILES around!) kitty corner from the drugstore, Jack's Country Store kitty corner from the Eagles club.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Sunday, April 13, 2008
You may be interested to learn of some of the many interesting places to see and things to do not far from your new home: Since I am a Coast Guard veteran, we start with
- National Motor Lifeboat School at Cape Disapointment
- The nearest town is the village of Ocean Park
- Lighthouses you can visit - Cape Disapointment and North Head Light
- Discover the history of the Graveyard of The Pacific
- A little more about the great long beach can be found HERE
- Some of the iron at last year's ROD RUN TO THE END OF THE WORLD
- Best oysters in the world RIGHT HERE
- Get your razor clam digging license at JACKS COUNTRY STOREclick here or on the map to enlarge
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Here is a street-side photo showing some of Ellen's plantings.
please E-Mail Me If You Have Any Questions.